Sunday, December 23, 2012

BOOK BLURB: Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars #0.5)

Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)Among the Nameless Stars by Diana Peterfreund
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Goodreads Summary:

Before Kai joined the Cloud Fleet, he wandered… AMONG THE NAMELESS STARS

Four years before the events of FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS, the servant Kai left the North Estate, the only home he’d ever known, and Elliot North, the only girl he ever loved, in search of a better life. But the journey was not an easy one.

Featuring narrow escapes, thrilling boat races and at least one deadly volcanic wasteland.


***

Date Read: July 30, 2012

Among the Nameless Stars is said to be the "prequel" to For Darkness Shows the Stars. I, personally, wouldn't call it a prequel because it didn't really happen before everything else in the book. Maybe just a filler story. (hahahaha.. stupid ideas interrupting my train of thought.)

Anyway, as I've expected, I love this story because:

(1) Kai still writes letters or thinks of writing letters to Elliot, even though he keeps telling himself not to. I always love people sending letters (or just writing) to each other. For me, it's one of the sincerest ways a person can express how he or she feels. Kai and Elliot's letters really reaches out to the readers and captures them until they can't get enough it. This story is no different. Although Kai held a grudge against Elliot, he always made it clear in his unsent letters that he still cares for her. It's hard to explain, but there's something about guys who writes beautiful letters.

(2) We get a taste of Kai's life after he left the North Estate. How he struggled and fought to survive. How he met Andromeda and Donovan and the Innovations. It wasn't a good experience but it wasn't the worst as compared to what other Posts experienced. He had a lot of bad times but he stayed strong. He realized how lucky he was but still he wanted more, and he strived hard to get what he wanted. I just didn't like the part when he wanted to succeed because he wanted Elliot to regret her decision of not coming with him. But later on, that wasn't the case anymore.

My rating may be a little biased because I've read this after reading For Darkness Shows the Stars. My judgement may be a bit clouded by how I felt for FDSTS, so I might not point out other things that got me concerned in this story. But who cares? Hahahaha..

Oh wait! I think I forgot something. I would have liked it better if it also revealed their journey as the Cloud Fleet up until the time he becomes Captain Malakai Wentforth. That's all. :)

View all my reviews


teepee J

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...