Sunday, December 23, 2012

BOOK BLURB: Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles #1)

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Goodreads Summary:

There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.

At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


***

Date Read: August 29, 2012

Whew! Finally! After 21 days of struggling to finish the book, I'm finally done with Beautiful Creatures. Now don't get me wrong. It took me 3 weeks to finish not because it wasn't good or anything like that. I was just really busy and Beautiful Creatures wasn't the kind of book that gets you all distracted from your work. It didn't meet my expectations, thus, leaving me a bit disappointed.

To be honest, I felt detached from the story and the characters while reading this. I just couldn't make sense of it at first. I felt like the book/story was supposed to be dark and mysterious, but it wasn't as dark and mysterious as I hoped it would be. I didn't even feel the spark between Ethan and Lena's relationship. It's like they didn't have enough chemistry together. Their relationship was a bit hurried, I think. It was like Ethan saying, "I want something different. The new girl is different. Now, I want her to be my girlfriend."

I didn't like Ethan that much. And Lena, too. I didn't like Gatlin. (Ugh! All the thoughts that are coming out are negative thoughts. Sorry!)

Sorry if my thoughts about the book turned out like that. There had been a lot of great reviews for this book and I guess I got carried away. I raised my expectations high and look where it got me.

I actually debated whether to give this book a two or three rating. I settled with three because there were still some parts that got me entertained.

View all my reviews


teepee J

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...