Sunday, December 23, 2012

BOOK BLURB: The Selection (The Selection #1)

The Selection (The Selection, #1)The Selection by Kiera Cass
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Goodreads Summary:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


***

Date Read: August 25, 2012

The Selection had to be one of my fastest YA reads to date. And I really tried not to get the criticisms about the book get in my head and cloud my judgements. I don't know if I successfully did it, but here goes nothing.

As most of us know, there had been an issue about the book/author. I don't remember much, but I set that aside when I read this. Thankfully, The Selection wasn't bad. I actually liked it. No, I did not squirm in delight when there were romantic moments. But it was enough to grab my interest and keep me reading.

America didn't annoy me like what other readers/reviewers experienced. What bothers me, really, is the fact that it was so obvious she was different from all the other girls. It was like being rubbed on your face that she stood out, that she's special. And to top it off, she's completely oblivious to this. Hahahaha...

I know it doesn't really make sense comparing this to the Hunger Games, but there were parts that America's situation reminded me of Katniss - the makeover, the new environment they are temporary living in, her liking for the delicacies, the interviews, the televised programs. It was like the Hunger Games all over again. Hahahaha... Well, not really. Just those parts. It felt a bit unoriginal.

Now, let's go to our boys, the ex-boyfriend, Aspen, and the crowned prince, Maxon (By the way, how do pronounce Maxon's name? Is it like Mey-son or Max-son?). Oh no! Who is she going to pick? Her ex-boyfriend who she still loves or the prince who she's starting to develop feelings for? (Please note the hint of sarcasm. Hahahaha!) As usual, I always choose who I'm rooting for. And I'm going for Aspen all the way. Why? Because I always go for the guys with dark hair. (Hahahaha... That's a stupid answer.)

In a more serious note, I didn't like the part when she was like cheating on both of them. It felt like America kissed one of them because she can't have the other at the moment, or because she's mad. And vice versa. But, whatever. I'm still rooting for Aspen, even though the book didn't quite picture him enough and was mostly about Maxon's niceness.

You can't have a story without the people wanting to bring down the main character. And here, we have the typical b*tchy elite girl who's used to get everything she wants. Somehow, I didn't feel much of her presence as the villain among the girls. Mainly because America's almost always preoccupied with her own issues to pay attention to her. Yes, she had her mean and devilish moments, but I guess I was expecting more from her, like I want her to really be despicable. (wow! How weird is that?)

So there!! I think that's all I can type write now. I tried and finished. Yay me! Hahahaha... 3.5 stars for The Selection. Since I'm feeling incredibly nice today, I'm going to click the 4th star instead of the 3rd. And I have to hand it to the book. It had me gripped on to it the whole day. :)

Oh! One more thing... I really loved how the importance of family was shown in some parts of the book. That families, no matter what, stick together and accept each other for whatever each do. *sighs* There! Bye! :)

View all my reviews


teepee J

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...