Wednesday, February 27, 2013

BOOK BLURB: Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy #1)

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Goodreads:

Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.


Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?


***

Date Read: February 24, 2013
Rating: 4 Stars

Fallen angels? Bad boys? Where have we read that before? Aaahh… Everywhere!

Sweet Evil did not really capture my interest back when it was buzzing around goodreads. To read another angel book was not on my priority list, and the cover did not really tickle my tastebuds. Good reviews from friends and their adoration for Kaidan made me want to try and give it a chance. And I am thankful I did.

What I really like about Sweet Evil was the concept of what angels and the fallen ones do on earth. There are dukes powered by deadly sins and demons spreading havoc on earth, guardian angels who protect and watch over the human race, and the nephilims who are mostly sons or daughters of fallen angels. So nephilims are generally bad here because they all grew up with their fathers (or the duke of whatever sin that may be). Wendy Higgins created an interesting concept that sets the book apart from the other angel books I have read.

The flow of the story was also good. From beginning to end, it will really hold a reader’s interest if you’re into this kind of story. The ending surprised and disappointed me a bit, because I thought there would be more. Everything was just left hanging there without any explanation as to what, how or why. I was just a little bummed out by that.

Kaidan’s character is very interesting. Aside from the fact that he is extremely good-looking and talented, he is a good person considering that he was raised by the duke of lust. Anna, on the other hand, was a little annoying near the end of the book. She seemed too desperate, like she can’t hold back and be patient. But in general, she was okay. I actually admired her (and the book) for not being hypocritical when it came to matters related to the Almighty. It did not seem fake or forced.

All in all, a great read. I will definitely watch out for Sweet Peril this coming April.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...