Saturday, April 16, 2016

BOOK BLURB: Siege and Storm (The Grisha #2)

Author: Leigh Bardugo
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Number of Pages: 435
Date Published: June 4, 2013
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy

Goodreads:


Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.

***
My Thoughts:

Honestly, I don't know how to start organizing my thoughts and feelings regarding the second book of The Grisha trilogy. Although I sort of figured out its widespread appeal to people who loved it so much, I am still not at awe with the books. So, if this review seems kind of all over the place, I apologize in advance.

If you have read my review for Shadow and Bone (the first book of the trilogy), you would know that I am not as happy as I thought I would be during and after reading it. Maybe it's just not the book for me. I don't actually hate it, because I really did enjoy some parts. I just didn't like it as much as most of the readers did.

In the second book, Siege and Storm, we get to see most of the characters from the first book and a couple of new ones are also introduced. We also get to explore farther away from Ravka, and read about new places and its people. This is one of the few things I like in Siege and Storm - it sort of widened its scope in terms of the characters and places. I specifically like the new characters in the second book. When I read about them, there's the weird voice in my head saying, "Yes! Finally, someone interesting and entertaining." Because I really didn't find the characters in the first book that appealing. And yes, the new characters (I won't say who they are), are surprisingly fun to read, and someone you'll actually look forward to. I also enjoyed that they traveled more in the second book. And there are more action and fight scenes, a lot more tension and complications with the country's problem, and a lot more personal and political struggle.

Despite my subtle dislike for Alina and Mal's character, I have to admit that they have developed better in the second book. They are not as annoying like the first time I read about them in Shadow and Bone. So, there's definitely some improvement in them. But I'm still not as attracted to them as I usually am with the lead couples of a book. Alina has somehow changed in Siege and Storm. And to be honest, I like the darkness surrounding her character. It makes her a bit more interesting and gives her more depth.

Lastly, when I started reading the book, I am actually liking the direction the plot is taking. It's becoming more clear and concrete. The first book was kind of disorienting and vague. But with second book, you actually see the path the characters are taking, not literally of course, and not to the point that it becomes predictable. You still don't know what will happen. But towards the end, I kinda lost the excitement I felt when I started reading the book. I'm not sure why, but it just happened. The ending was okay, though. But it did not persuade me to immediately read the third book.

After giving a short discussion of the things I liked in Siege and Storm, the things I disliked comes next. Honestly, I can't exactly recall and describe the things I disliked in the book. The most pressing concern is that the book is probably not my cup of tea. I like high fantasy books, but so far, the first two books of the Grisha trilogy was not able to capture me entirely. I was not hooked completely. I tend to get into and out of reading it. It's not one of those books that makes me rethink of doing other things so I can finish it and read what happens next. Also, the characters probably played a major role with my detachment to the books.

With all those stuff being said, Siege and Storm was a bit better than the first book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...